The Hotchkiss School: The Center for Global Understanding and Independent Thinking

Entry Hall and Enfilade Entry Hall and Enfilade
Library
Great Room
Doorway Detail Doorway Detail
Dining Room

The Hotchkiss School: The Center for Global Understanding and Independent Thinking

Built in 1938, Monahan Gymnasium was designed by Delano & Aldrich as part of the original Hotchkiss campus. PPA transformed the historic structure into a LEED-gold-certified multi-use facility to accommodate visiting scholars and conferences focused on international affairs. Working with BRB Architects, PPA preserved and restored the main facade and designed new interior spaces for the Alumni Center and the Center for Global Understanding & Independent Thinking. The adaptive reuse has a traditional style: the design for the new interiors of the 10,000 square foot second floor reflects Federal and Georgian precedents of similar Delano & Aldrich buildings on the campus, resulting in a series of club-like rooms which serve as settings for conferences and lectures. One room is fitted out as a state-of-the-art virtual conference room with complete AV and technical components to allow long distance conferences, lectures, and meetings. 

Partner-in-Charge: Peter Pennoyer

Design Director: Anton Glikin

Associate-in-Charge: Nebojsa Savic

Associates: Benjamin Sirota, Sean Blackwell

Executive Architects: Butler Rogers Baskett Architects

Interior Design: Carolyn Griffith

Photography: Joe Standart


Peter Pennoyer Architects